Play Reading Club
 MORNINGS AT SEVEN
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Miss Brodie
Advanced Member

2421 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2004 :  3:51:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Miss Brodie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This play by Paul Osborn was first produced on Broadway in the 1939/40 season. Dorothy Gish was in that original cast. Revivals in 1980/81 and 2002 featured loads of film and television names. The 1980 revival won Tonys for best "reproduction", best actor (David Rounds) and best direction (Vivian Matalon).

The cast includes close to a dozen characters, mostly middle-aged to elderly. I enjoyed watching it when I was in my 20s. This would be a good choice for a CT season, in my opinion.

MsInvisible

189 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2004 :  10:06:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I caught the revival in 2002. To be honest, I went with my folks on an extra TDF ticket and thought I'd be bored to tears. While it's not by any far stretch an exciting show, I enjoyed it. It's a very sweet play that gave some big name veterans another chance to strut their stuff on Broadway...Frances Sternhagen! Piper Laurie! Buck Henry! Christopher Lloyd!?! But being in the balcony I spent most of my time eyeballing the fantastic set and lighting (once a techie, always a techie!). I was also distracted by Estelle Parson's voice. It took me all of Act I to realize she was Mrs. Claus!

"I am a transparent eyeball. I am nothing. I see all."
Go to Top of Page

Miss Brodie
Advanced Member

2421 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2004 :  11:48:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Miss Brodie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I got MORNINGS AT SEVEN out of the library and read it last night. I now recall that one of the most impressive aspects of the Broadway show was the atmosphere evoked on stage of a real backyard in summer. The lighting effects of setting and rising sun were dazzling.

The story of the four sisters, their respective husbands and one offspring plus his fiancee is just as charming as I recalled. All of the characters have smallscale ambitions, and each one of them manages to put obstacles in his or her own way. It's a pretty common tale, but it unfolds with uncommon charm and gentle wit.

The challenge for a CT would be casting this thing. You need four women and three men over 60. All the roles are equally demanding, since this can truly be called an ensemble piece. But it would be great fun for all once a cast was assembled.
Go to Top of Page

Prosper Block
Advanced Member

308 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2004 :  12:44:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't have this one in my library, and tried a few B&Ns and Borders, but came up empty. Will purchase from Drama Book Shop next time I have to buy some plays, and will weigh in then.
Go to Top of Page

zadodci
Advanced Member

406 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2004 :  6:04:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My local B & N and Borders both told me it was out of print. They couldn't even find a out of print copy anywhere. All I can do now is check my local library.

David M. Cicchelli
Treasurer
Spotlight Theatre Company
Go to Top of Page

Miss Brodie
Advanced Member

2421 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2004 :  6:23:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Miss Brodie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zadodci

My local B & N and Borders both told me it was out of print. They couldn't even find a out of print copy anywhere. All I can do now is check my local library.

David M. Cicchelli
Treasurer

I hope it's in your library. It was in the Franklin Township Library, but in a special collection that I believe originally came from Villagers Theatre.

Maybe after the next two, we should stick to readily available classics.
Go to Top of Page

zadodci
Advanced Member

406 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2004 :  9:06:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I finally finished Mornings at Seven! My local library did not have it. I had to get a interlibrary loan from the Bernardsville library.

I more or less agree with previous posts. It is not an exciting play but it is cute warm and funny. I agree it would make a nice CT show. But it would be hard to cast at least at Spotlight Theatre. But I wouldn't mind seeing this play done somewhere it might be fun.

Well next I guess it is on to Lady Windermere's Fan by Oscar Wilde. This I should read quicker. I have it in my personal library and am somewhat familiar with it.

David M. Cicchelli
Treasurer

Edited by - zadodci on 05 Aug 2004 9:12:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

ljstockham813

5 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  9:52:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit ljstockham813's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are a couple of stage plays entitled MORNINGS AT SEVEN. The Australian play of this name is a terrific play. Is this the one you are talking about?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
NJTheater.com © Copyright 1997-2009 NJTheater.com Go To Top Of Page